First update in 4 years!



Wow, it's been....  a really long time!  Last you heard from me, it was 2014, I was migrating this blog to a new platform.  I kept up with it for a few months, but I ultimately stopped posting and abandoned it. 

I often find myself saying "life is so crazy right now!", but 2014 Lindsay didn't know crazy.  She had no idea what was coming for her.  She was so naive, lol! 

So in fall of 2014 I was no longer just a dancer, I was tossed into the world of teaching!  It was a big goal I had, and I anticipated it coming to fruition in several years, but things kind of fell into place with a beloved teacher at our studio leaving, and the opportunity falling into my lap.  I began teaching 2 classes, and I assisted with 2 combo classes for the younger dancers.  The following season I took on 3 more classes, and fast forward to now I'm planning my year for 8 classes! 

Yep, I'm dressed as a chef.  lol 

As I kept adding classes to my teaching schedule, unfortunately my personal dancing schedule had to give.  I went from performing in 8-9 numbers each recital to last year performing in just 4 - and two of those were special non-class routines we threw together a few weeks before the show.  Needless to say, I'm getting a lot less dancing time in. 



Teaching is it's own special kind of madness.  I teach.... 5-8 year old Acro/Tumbling, 6-10 year old hip hop/jazz I & II, 7-11 year old lyrical ballet, 11-14 ballet/lyrical combo, 11-adult ballet I/II, pre-pointe, pointe I, Ballet I for adults only.  I often feel like I'm herding cats with the littles, but we have a blasty blast and I absolutely LOVE what I do! 

Teaching is a workout in and of itself, but it's just not the same as taking a challenging 2 hour ballet class.  Teaching is a lot of standing around, a lot of hollering :) and it's hard on the feet and legs.  I do demonstrate throughout class, of course, but again it's a completely different workout than ballet or a fast paced jazz class. 

In early 2017 I learned that I have some issues with my thyroid and some hormonal problems.  I began putting on weight, despite my diet and any exercise I was getting.  When the fall 2017 season came around, I had gone from my fittest in 2015/2016 and was heading back towards my starting weight.  I learned a long time ago that weight isn't your defining factor in life, but as a dancer and teacher, it just weighed on my shoulders that I was a poor role model for these kids I was put in charge of.  Kids who look up to me, and here I am looking more and more unhealthy by the week... this time I couldn't change my diet and fix it.  I was already eating well, but nothing seemed to stop the gain. 

2015 vs 2017
These are hard to look at.  In 2015 I was the fittest I'd ever been, even as a teen.  I knew how to use my muscles correctly.  My technique was coming back.  It's a strange juxtaposition though.  In 2017 my technique was much better than 2015, but I was probably 40lbs heavier than 2015? 

So the 2017/2018 fall season began, and I was signed up to take Adv Jazz, Contemporary, Ballet III, Pointe, Lyrical and Tap.  I ended up dropping contemporary, lyrical and tap.  I probably went to 3-5 of the 17 Ballet & Jazz classes that semester, all because I was so ashamed of myself.  I quit blogging, I quit updating my instagram.  I began hiding myself again.  My weight gain was out of control, so I sought out advice from my doctor.  As it turned out, I did have legit thyroid and hormone issues happening that were causing my body to retain a LOT of weight.  I sucked it up and performed in the Ballet, Jazz and Pointe numbers last fall, but can't handle looking at photos of the show. 

So, my thyroid and hormonal issues are being managed, and I've started dropping some of the extra weight I'm carrying.  I'm also about to begin a Healthy Wager challenge as some incentive.  I'm committing to the classes I'm taking this fall (jazz, modern, ballet, pointe, lyrical) and I'm modifying my diet to what I know works best for my body.  I'm re-re-starting again at the beginning.  I'm still strong, I still have the technique, I just need to get back to a healthy level of fitness. 

If you feel like following my re-re-start, stay tuned I'll be updating this on the regular again.  It's time to get myself back! 

Thanks for reading!

Lindsay

Comments

  1. Hi Lindsay - I love reading your blog it inspires me to feel good about myself and to just keep working every day on the things I love even if sometimes progress doesn’t feel like progress. Hope all is well with you in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts