Supplements

Hi all, happy Monday!

I'm bundled up in my house today, that wicked polar vortex decided to swing through the Midwest again, and Milwaukee is not exempt from the cold!  Brrrrr.

I wanted to take a moment to discuss supplementing tools (and well, supplements) in with the regular dance routine.  As you may know, I've added a gym membership and routine to my 4 class hrs/week of dance.  I'm starting to see some lbs lost, and I hope to stay on the losing trend.  In addition to just more workouts, I've decided to seriously consider adding (specifically joint) supplements in to my daily routine, and I'm open to other supplementation.

I don't have any signs of arthritis yet, though my right knee has had a little inflammation since we started leaping more frequently.  I find myself with sore joints from time to time, and I am hoping to give my body the joint support it needs to continue pursuing dance.  I also want to avoid another situation where I injure myself right before the recital.

I've settled on a supplement called "Move Free", and the version I've picked has Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM & Vitamin D3.  I've given the first three ingredients to my aging horses in the past with great results, and it seems right to use this combination on myself!  By adding joint supplements to my routine, I hope to prolong the amount of time I'm able to comfortably dance, in pointe especially.  I've had a few injuries over the years, and I'll do anything to avoid them in the future.

Other Supplements

During summer 2013, I decided to purchase a foam roller to aid in post-workout recovery.  I find myself achy or sore almost always during the dance season, and the foam roller truly is a godsend.  A 10 - 15 minute session on the foam roller after a difficult class (like my Tuesday ballet & pointe marathon) is exactly what I need to recover quickly for the next class.  It's a little painful to use when especially sore, but almost immediately after I feel better.  If you haven't tried a foam roller, I highly recommend it!  

Over the last few months I've gotten into the habit of taking a detox bath at least once a week.  For me this usually consists of epsom salts, baking soda, sea salt, and lavender oil or bubble bath.  Epsom salts have a reputation for excellent sports recovery, and lavender for calming, but the baking soda & sea salt are a surprise added benefit.  I find the baking soda really helps balance out my skin-- it's known to balance pH.  I always feel incredibly relaxed & refreshed after one of these detox baths!  

Finally I have been taking a Ginseng supplement about 4pm on the days I have class.  I do feel as though I have more energy and can work longer without getting winded.  I'm going to continue this routine.



What do you use to supplement your dance classes?  Are you a runner?  Do you have any post-workout rituals, stretching routines, supplements or products that you couldn't function without?  I'm really interested to hear!  

Well, second semester starts tonight, it should be interesting.  I had to "break up" with my Chatty Cathy this weekend, we'll see how that goes in class.  Sadface... luckily the class is tripling in size so I should be able to get away from her if things get too awkward.  

Happy Dancing, and stay warm! 

RB 

Comments

  1. Hi there RB! I am very much enjoying your blog. I just found it two days ago. I am a 53 yo who started ballet for the first time about 1.5 years ago. I have lots of aches and pains plus rheumatoid arthritis which makes it pretty difficult for me. But I get to start pointe in Sept!!! woohoo! I recenly started taking eboost about 30 mins before class. Helps with energy but does not make me jittery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts