Is the honeymoon over?

Maybe I typed far, far too soon.  One of my very most popular topics and article series is the case I made for how you can lose weight with ballet & dance.  The first year back, I really did lose over 30 lbs.  This year?  While my body is still showing signs of change and "reshaping", I haven't lost any lbs so far.  I gained some back over the summer when classes were out, but I expected to lose them quickly again once class started up.

Classes have increased and they are more difficult this year, but the scale hasn't moved at all.  First semester of classes is officially over, now what?  I know the topic of weight and dance is a touchy one, and I don't intend to spark any eating disorder triggers here.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Dance is for everyone.  Every shape, size, height, age, weight, personality and any other classifier you can imagine.  I think it's silly to suggest that all dancers must be tall (but not too tall), thin, flexible and perfect to contribute to the world of dance.  

I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish since returning to dance in 2012.  There is much more I'd like to accomplish, and I feel that the only way to improve is to lose some of the spare tire I've been carrying around since I had my daughter 7 years ago.  I don't need to be a stick figure, just healthier.  Improved stamina would be helpful, and the lighter I am the less strain on the joints and feet in pointe shoes.  My moms side of the family tends to have knee issues.  Though I haven't experienced any yet, the less weight I force them to support during leaps and turns the better.  My family also tends to be either extremely skinny or carry around the visceral fat in the abdomen.  I fall into the latter category.  I carry extra around the middle and in my arms.  My lower half is in good shape though.... lol!  

I've decided to supplement my dance training with a gym membership.  At first I considered renting studio space where I can go and practice dance during my lunch hour, but after pricing that out I changed my mind!  I found a 24hr gym in the area advertising $10 a month for unlimited access.  Sounds WAY too good to be true, but I'm going in about 30 minutes to get a tour and check it out.  The super enthusiastic gym membership salesman on the phone told me that they have a good sized studio area with floating padded wood floors that can be used when there aren't classes scheduled.  The class schedule is pretty weak, so the chances of having a whole studio to myself during the lunch hour are good!  

I'm going to primarily work on good old fashioned cardio and weight lifting, with stretching and some dance practice in the studio if it all works out.  

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday break!

Happy Dancing

Comments

  1. UGH I gained weight over Christmas :/ The most dramatic weight difference definately occured in my first year of training. After that things now seem to have slowed down as my body has gotton more used to athleticism

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Since adding in the gym membership and counting calories I've started steadily losing again, but class alone just wasn't cutting it anymore. Or maybe the junk food that I started eating again over the summer.... lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts