Small Changes

It's amazing how making one small change to the way you do something can rock your whole world!  My instructor decided that the pointe class will now be working perpendicular to the barre like in flat class, rather than parallel to the barre like last year.  I like the idea of this, I know I rely too heavily on the barre during some exercises.  I really want to improve as much as possible this year, and this is going to be the way it happens. 

Our studio has nice heavy mobile barres that we move around for different exercises in different classes.  Last year the beginning students would be right up to the mirror, and the advanced/intermediate students also had the barre parallel to the mirror behind the beginners so we could use both hands on the barre for combinations.  I thought it would be a really easy change to working perpendicular to the barre, but I was wrong.  It's much more challenging, it forces you to really work correctly and not lean on the barre for support.  It's a good thing. 

I'm taking 4 class hours a week this year, and I'm already seeing a few positive changes.  It feels like after putting myself out there and performing last spring, I can do anything in class.  Not necessarily well, but I can try without feeling stupid now.  I have always struggled with poor self image, which definitely was a negative factor throughout classes last year.  When you are the old out of shape one that messes up a lot, it starts to get to you which makes things worse.  At my most self conscious, I'd forget combinations or trip for no reason, etc.  So far this year I'm not having any issues learning and remembering combinations at all!  I usually go first when moving across the room, rather than waiting until last like I used to. 

Things are different this year, I can feel it. 

Comments

Popular Posts