Practicing Pirouettes

Yesterday for fun I decided to throw some pirouettes, and they felt different.  I haven't done pirouette drills since well before the recital, so I wasn't sure how it would go.  I hit my balance on the second try, and I almost pulled a double. 

I've done doubles before, but it was always forced and not great with some hops in there.  Tonight I just hit the right spot, and I felt what real multiple rotations were like.  It was pretty cool!  That said, I decided to practice more pirouettes and record it! 

I have to say, my en dehor turns to the left are really pretty solid.  To the right?  Really, really bad.  I just can't hit the right balance, and my shoulders are weird, I prep with my working leg straight in one direction and bent in another, and it's a mess.  I recorded tonights practice, and thought to focus on going slow and just try to hit my balance each time.  I have problems with picking the right speed, with my outside arm/shoulder trailing, just a lot of issues that need fixing.

Here's my video.  I landed a few nice doubles that were balanced, but I didn't land them smoothly.  Another thing to work on! 



Tomorrow when I practice, I'm going to work on those arms and shoulders.  Every time my arms fall down too low, and my outside arm and shoulder really trail a lot-- sometimes ending up behind me(!!) when I'm done falling out of my turn.  When I landed a few doubles in there, my arms stayed solid. 


Oh, and call it a gimmick, but I splurged and bought one of those "Ballet is fun" turnboards.  CLICK HERE to see their website.  There are mixed reviews out there, but I can definitely see how it would help someone get the feel for multiple turns and really learn the correct position and balance for it.  I'm going to give it a go.  I'll take a video, I promise. 


Ok, well, happy dancing!

Comments

  1. Hey, pretty cool :o). Found your blog today. I love it :o). Put it on my list. Hope to read from you soon :o). Bye, Annette (adult beginner :oD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pirouettes are so beautiful! Just a tip: trying starting in a smaller 4th (feet closer together). Also, don't be afraid to push off harder. Keep practicing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks you two! I know, pushing off harder and moving faster would make my turns better and probably allow me to do triples or more someday. I find that I get worse when I try to add more speed, sometimes I can't pull a single when I push too hard. I haven't figured out how to keep balanced while turning faster yet, I admittedly only just started spotting without having to think about it every time. :) The pirouettes in the video are some of the best I've ever done, even when I was younger and much better at dancing!

    Thanks for the tip on a smaller 4th-- I'll try that! I didn't include any footage of me turning to the right-- for some reason in that direction my working leg starts straight, I've been wondering if that has something to do with how bad that side is. Also, when my left shoulder is the one that needs to come forward and close the circle, it really really struggles to come forward into position at all. It really knocks me out of the turn hard! I have not achieved a double on that side yet, but at least now I know why I'm falling out of it. My left leg is also weaker than my right, it's something I'm working on.

    Thanks again! I appreciate all constructive criticism!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts