Unconventional Pointe Students

I'd like to take a moment to talk about unconventional pointe students. 

 
 
This includes the overweight, very tall, or middle aged pointe students, and anyone else who isn't a 14 year old stick figure of a kid.  Nothing against said stick figures or the pointe community in general, but I think the dance world has it all wrong.  I think unconventional pointe students can successfully dance en pointe with the right training.



I've seen it first hand-- I fall into the exceptionally tall category.  I'll never dance a pas de dux and look anything but enormous, but I am able to successfully and safely dance en pointe.  I've seen overweight adult dancers en pointe who were extremely graceful and strong in the center and on stage.  I've also seen very thin teenagers who should not be en pointe.

I think it's a real shame that many studios don't take adults seriously when it comes to regular ballet, let alone pointe.  I bought a class card at a new studio for the summer, and I was really disappointed with my first class.  I explained everything about my past and recent ballet history, and she put me in an extreme  beginner class with younger tweens.  I was a little insulted, but I do understand that you have to see where a new dancer is at before placing them in a class.  I know they wouldn't allow me to join the summer pointe classes, they are height and weight specific, which I find ludicrous.

If an adult is willing to put in the time to get better and take the class time, why take them for granted?  I sometimes spend 200+ a month on classes because it's what I want to do in my free time.  I would take class every day if I could find classes who accept adult students.

I honestly believe almost anyone can be taught and trained to safely dance in pointe shoes.  I think a barre adult class that receives the proper training can move to the center and even perform.  I wish I could change the perception the dance world has of adult ballet dancers.


Oh well.  Here's my pointe picture from picture day:


Comments

  1. I agree with you! I work in a dance shop that sells pointe shoes and I was curious so I tried on a pair. I am overweight and have dance experience so I was careful and I only went en pointe at the barre to be safe. Everything went fine and I am pretty heavy, they were not the perfect fit but I just tried for fun. If an adult dancer thinks she is comfortable then studios should take time and help the students do even better.In my ballet class I am the tallest and I'm only 5'9.

    In my opinion, I hate that society only sees ballerina as skinny little things and an overweight girl would looked down upon because of her size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your posting! I found your blog while researching the possibility of going en pointe at 36. I danced all through childhood and after school I continued with middle eastern dance & burlesque. I'm looking to add a little more poise and grace into my performance and so started back with ballet & also added in ballroom. There is a studio in my town that offers adult beginner pointe but it's at noon on Wednesday; right when most adults are at work. :p

    For now getting back to the basics is enough but eventually I'll be pushing to get that class moved to evenings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!!! and i mean THANK YOU for being so open and sharing on your blog. I started back in ballet a month ago after not dancing for 10 years. Im 29 and i danced as a kid for years and loved it but quit because my teacher told me she would never allow me to go en pointe because of my weight saying it would damage my ankles. I was always always on the chubby side but always super athletic and LOVED ballet. But that made me feel defeated. SO now im 29 and still chubby but not crazy obese or anything and with new found confidence. Im back in classes and reading your blog has brought me a lot of courage and inspiration. Im at 3 classes a week now and my teacher told me in a few months shell allow me to begin en pointe. :) THANK YOU!
    -Nicole
    Palm Springs, Ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post and your blog! I am returning to the ballet studio as an adult who danced for 10 years when I was younger and I want to go en pointe again in the future. I think as long as we have the strength and proper technique, pointe should be allowed for us. I look forward to more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! I share your oppinions about adult ballet dancers. Im 26 years old and I came back to ballet lessons last year, and I've been on pointe two months ago. My teacher says that ballet is for everyone, she understands the limited standars in the ballet world, and believes like you, that a good trainning can give the chance to dance to girls with any kind of weight, height and size. Dance should be about sharing and having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone, I was just reading through these comments and noticed that my first reply had a LOT of spelling errors (typed on my phone, never again!) so I deleted it.

    I'm so glad you all enjoyed this post and that you feel empowered to go forth and make your dream a reality. That's seriously awesome!

    I have to say, it can be very humbling taking class with the teenagers who think they are all super hotshots, but that can be an option for finding classes in your area! It's always worth calling studios to ask if you can join the teen dance program classes. Oftentimes there are some seriously amazing students in those classes, but you can learn so much from watching them work and listening to the corrections they get.

    My pointe classes aren't geared towards any particular age, we have a medium sized studio with a kind of small ballet program, so the teens and adults take pointe together. The beginners stick around for barre, and leave when we move to the center.

    It's not worth it to try and find classes specifically for adults only or adult beginners. I think it's a relatively new concept and not one that all studios seem to embrace. The studio I danced with growing up doesn't offer any adult classes, and wouldn't let me join the teen program, which was a bummer.


    Anyways, thanks for reading everyone, writing about dance is almost as fun as the actual dancing for me. I'm glad someone can enjoy it with me.

    Thanks again!

    RB

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts