Picture Day: Success Peppered With Embarrassment

It's been a crazy few weeks preparing for this recital!  Last time we left off, I had hurt my back pretty badly and was in really rough shape.  I'm happy to report that after 7 chiropractor visits, I'm now back at about 98%.  I'm still being cautious, but I've been back at rehearsals for a week with no issues or pain!  Hooray! 

Friday the 7th was picture day for the studio.  The last week has been primarily fixated on costumes, for whatever reason I offered to sew a bunch of costumes and I'm kind of regretting it because it's just been a nightmare.  The tulle needed to be sewn on two costumes for ballet, and I offered to alter and mess around with our lyrical costumes too.  The ballet costumes have been the worst, I had to also sew in the elastic into the top/back and the leg openings after the tulle was attached.  There was a distinct point where I considered how awesome the tutus would look on fire, about 2:30am Thursday night!!



Despite the craziness, everything came together and went well for pictures.  The costumes were finished, except for the leg elastic in mine, but it was covered in tulle so nobody could tell. 

I have to say, the body tights and leotard liner are my new favorite things.  Both worked out so well, but especially the body tights!  I'll be ordering several more pairs, and another liner or two.  I'll wear that to class instead of my old routine.  Previously I'd wear a thong, tights, leotard, tank top, and booty shorts.  There were so many unflattering lines with this, but I'm just not to the point where I'm comfortable wearing just tights and a leo without another layer in the mix, but the liner is exactly what I need.  Not wearing normal tights completely eliminates the muffin top line, so it's just one smooth line.  I wasn't stressing over my attire at all! 

I stupidly didn't get pictures in all of my costumes on my phone, but I did get the last one of the night-- my Amelia Earhart costume for our opening number.  Our theme is "Night at the museum", each class is doing a dance representing a different museum.  The opening dance features 25 people dressed as different museum exhibits, and I'm Amelia Earhart.  It came together well, I'm really happy with it! 


The boot covers/spats are really weird, but OK to dance in. 

Next week starts tech rehearsals and dress rehearsals, and then the recitals are Friday & Saturday!!!  OMG!!! I'm so excited and anxious at the same time.  Pointe is what I'm most afraid of, there is one move that I haven't mastered and it stresses me out to have the other classes and instructors watching me fail at executing it.  I'm going to practice tomorrow until I have a better handle on it, but holy crap!

Deep breaths.



OH, I forgot about the part where I embarrassed the hell out of myself in front of everyone.  Lol.

I wanted an individual picture in the Amelia Earhart costume, so I was having it taken in front of all other 25 people before the group shot.  Going into the pose (releve passe with airplane arms) my supporting leg cramped up really bad, and I FELL FLAT OVER!!  It would have been funny, except I couldn't uncramp my leg for a few seconds and it was just ridiculous.  I fell down on the backdrop as I was getting my photo taken.  LOL, only me. 

Anyways, happy dancing!  I'll get more pictures in my other costumes during dress rehearsal.

Comments

Popular Posts