Holy crap I did a pirouette today!

I've had some fear issues to overcome getting back into to pointe this year.  Let's be honest, I jumped into pointe class after an 8 year break from all types of dance.  I know this is highly abnormal and controversial, but I'm quite serious about improving and obsess over my technique, especially now that I've got the right shoes for my feet.

Even though I wasn't dancing for a long time, I was working on horse farms and riding horses for the better part of 10 years when I was younger.  I used to train horses for people and manage farms, so it was a lot of manual labor.  I've always been strong, even if I'm not super defined and muscly anymore.  My feet and ankles retain strength from years of riding horses, and I genuinely believe that played a huge role in why I was able to safely start pointe as an adult dancer without 2-3 years of classes prior. 

So I returned to ballet and started pointe with the intermediate/advanced class, and it was amazing.  I had  fears with certain milestones, that many kids probably don't have.  I won't kid you, it's hard to justify the fear of pointe as an adult.  The "holy crap I could break my ankles and legs and die!" fear is on the forefront of your mind all the time in the beginning. 

It starts with fear of standing on only one foot.  Fear of eschappe to 2nd.  Fear of standing in retire and letting go of the barre to balance.  Fear of walking while holding onto the barre.  Fear of that first eschappe away from the barre, and fear of springing onto pointe in passe away from the barre. 

That last one is one that I've been trying to deal with for a long time.  Part of it was the shoes, I never trusted my shoes until recently, so recently in fact that I haven't yet had the courage to try it out without the barre.  The stupid part is, that move is in my recital piece several times.  You'd think I'd try it out more than a week before the performances, but fear is a weird thing. 

Tonight I was practicing at home, and I decided to try it out.  I did it twice at the barre, and then I stepped away, and BAM.  I accidentally turned a whole pirouette.  I've done them at the barre a few times but not spectacularly.... this was my first real pirouette in the center on pointe.  It felt so weird, but amazing.  It truly was like flying.  Just for good measure, I did 5 more just to say I could! 



Reflecting back is interesting.  It's been a long road and I've come really far.  The exciting part is that I know I have so far to travel still.  I'm notorious for quitting hobbies and activities once I get good at them, and I'm much better than I was 10 months ago, but there is still so much more to learn!  That's why I love ballet. 

Happy Dancing

Comments

  1. Congrats! That is such a big accomplishment. I remember doing my first one but it was using ballet slippers and not pointe shoes but I feel your excitement. Also good luck on your recital. I hope you have a lovely performance and enjoy yourself on stage!

    Jackie @ adancersfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie, I appreciate it! dress rehearsal tonight, aahhhh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts