Preparing For Your First Remedial Ballet Class



I've been pondering how to best get myself back into the pirouette of things lately, and I've decided the best way is to build up my leg and foot strength slowly so I don't hurt myself.  I think the main problem I'm going to have is resisting the urge to glissade and leap all over the house, which could end in pulled or strained muscles after 8 years of rest. 

So I started with the basics:  Plie and Releve in all positions.

1st Position:  For a photographic reference, see my header picture.  In my header I'm standing in 1st position.  Heels together, feet are at least in a 90 degree angle, but slightly further is OK.  I don't recommend trying to turn out to 180 degrees right away-- stand comfortably and don't strain your knees!

2nd Position:  Keep your feet at the same angles, but stand with them shoulder width apart.  Again, don't push your turnout too far at first!

3rd Position:  From 2nd position, slide one foot over to the other, placing the heel of one foot in front of the arch of the other.  

4th Position:  From 3rd, slide the front foot forward about 1 ft.  This position is very hard, as you need to try and keep your hips square and forward, not angled towards the right or left.  Again, do what's comfortable!

5th Position:  From 4th, slide the forward foot back so your toes line up with the opposite heels.  Also a tough position. 

I did 3rd, 4th, and 5th positions on both sides, 5 reps per position.  Starting in 1st position, do a plie, stand up straight, and go into a releve, hold for a moment, and return to 1st position.

The main thing to remember while going into releve, is to evenly push through your ankle, foot and arch evenly and straight, without wobbling all over the place.  Your ankles naturally are stronger on either the inside or outside, depending on the way you stand and walk normally.

I'd imagine you are sitting down right now, so where you sit try to point your toes on one or both feet right now.  Watch your foot closely-- chances are you'll "sickle" your feet in an attempt to get a perfectly straight and elegant ballet foot.  Maybe you recall being yelled at by your ballet teacher, "don't sickle your foot!!".

You are aiming to point straight at whatever capacity your foot and ankles will allow.

Here is a great picture from isport.com showing what sickling looks like:












As you go into releve, don't bend your ankles out or in too far, or you can really injure yourself.

By doing these exercises the last 3 days in my kitchen, I can feel a difference in my arch and ankle strength already.  I think I'll keep doing the basics until they are far too easy.

You can do this stuff in ballet slippers, thick socks, or barefoot.  Just don't go crazy expecting yourself to be as strong as you used to be.  You can do it! 

Comments

Popular Posts