My First Pointe Fitting!!

Well, I had my pointe fitting today, and I ended up purchasing a pair of shoes.

I went to my fitting on lunch today, at a local shop that my studio recommended.  I went in to the cute little store, and stood waiting for my fitter to help me.  I think she was a little surprised, I don't think it's everyday that an adult that looks like me comes in for her first pointe fitting. 

The lady doing my fitting was very nice, but I suspect they didn't have many pairs my size.  I wear a size 9.5-10 US womens, which isn't that big, pretty average.  I tried on every pair in my size and settled for a pair of Grishko 2007's.  I'm a little concerned because my teacher recommended a hard shank, and they gave me a super soft shank????  We'll see how it goes I guess.

The frustrating part about the fitting is that I didn't know what was supposed to feel right.  I kept asking the fitter what looked right, and she couldn't tell me what looked the best.  I suppose all shoes pretty much look the same on the outside, but they all feel different on the inside.  I know there are many different brands, styles, and fits of shoes, but how is a pointe beginner supposed to know what is truly right?

I did a lot of research before going to the fitting, so I had an idea of what to expect.  The shoes shouldn't put pressure on your big toe in deep 2nd grand plie, but that's about it.  How do I know if the shoes will hold up my feet?  The fitter didn't really look at my feet much, she did briefly, but she didn't determine if I had compressible feet, she didn't look at the back of my feet while I was standing in them.... I guess the worrier in me is just a little concerned. 

All concerns aside, OMG I HAVE POINTE SHOES.  I consider myself a beginner because hell, who remembers anything after an 8 year break?  It's like taking remedial math-- hence the blog name change.  No longer frumpy, just remedial.  I've already seen results in my body shape since starting ballet, and I'm sure I'll only see more as time progresses.  :)

Here are my shoes:



Well, I'll definitely report back after my first class! Happy Dancing!

Comments

Popular Posts