First class turns into first TWO classes!

Well, I did it! I had my first class in 8 years, and I ended up doing two classes back to back!
When I arrived at the studio, I walked in and took a look around. Its a very nice large space!  As I started looking around at the other people waiting for the next class to start, I begin to realize that everyone else in pink tights looks to be about 12.

Crap.

The owner of the studio came over to introduce herself, and she confirmed that the other 4 people in the beginner class are more towards the 12 year old minimum age than the adult side of things.  She asked me to stay for the intermediate/advanced class to see if I felt more comfortable. I agreed, and said that I had another hour to audit the next class and try out the barre exercises.

The first beginner class was really interesting, I thought it would be complete basics just explaining the point of ballet, thoroughly explaining every move and position.  In reality, my teacher jumped right in and did quick explanations, had us start doing simple demi plie and grand plies in all 5 positions.  She included ronde de jambres and other simple movements.  We did a few easy things in the center for floor work as well.  It was all very simple stuff, but I admit I was sweating after the first 10 minutes.  The grand plies are very hard for me, as I have next to no core strength after having a baby.  I had really bad stretch marks and my rectus abdominus (stomach muscle) actually split and never completely re-attached.  They say I'd have to do surgery to fix it, but I believe with yoga and ballet to re tear and tighten those muscles, it will fix itself over time. 

Soo at this point my thighs, calves, and abs were pretty upset.  I pushed on.  At one point the teacher came over and grabbed my foot.  She said to me... "You have lovely feet and ankles, and I know you can really point your foot perfectly still, like this" and bent my foot that last inch further I couldn't make myself go.  I took it as a huge compliment-- I haven't danced in 8 years and I apparently still have lovely feet!

The truth is, my preparations didn't fully prepare me for even this beginner class.  I should have done more plies, more stretching, and more releve.  Even standing in releve for more than 5 seconds caused foot and calf cramps.  Pointing my feet caused toe cramps.  I know I CAN have perfect extension through my toes, but my muscles just SCREAM when I try. 

After class ended, I spoke to the teacher, who confirmed that she believes I can start in the intermediate/advanced class with no issue at all.  I stayed around for the second class and it was a thousand times better. There were about 10 other people in my class, ranging from age 17 to 30.  All of them were returning students, and all of them are also en pointe together in the next class.  Some of them are the very thin ballerina types, some of them are a lot larger from me.  They are all knowledgeable and know the terms, so the teacher just says a combination and the class executes.  It took me a few to remember some of the moves, but this class had like 5x the expectations as the beginning class, so it took me by surprise.  I thought it would have been some review, but it really wasn't at all, it was "Ok, warmup, good, now go!

We ended the class by doing pirouette combinations.  5 pirouettes from 4th position rapid fire.  I haven't pirouetted in years, but I did that night!

Immediately after the class, the teacher and the owner of the studio came up to me and asked me to stay in the second class.  I'm obviously going to feel much more comfortable with people my own age, but the owner gave me an awesome compliment-- she said that my past technique is still obvious, and it's just a matter of building up my strength and stamina.  She thinks I'll fit in really well!  

I have to say, I left on cloud nine.  I honestly feel like I've found the thing that is going to really make it stick.  I've struggled with my weight and self image for years, it's just so frustrating.  I was so skinny before I had my daughter, and I allowed that whole experience to ruin my life for awhile.  Like 5 years.  Today is the second day of the 26th year of my life, and that means about 20% of my life involved me being totally ruined to happiness.  That night doing ballet again, something I've done for 60% of my life, I felt a fire being lit under my ass. 

This is what will keep me going.  I'm not going to lie, my entire body was sore, and still is.  I can do this.  I can't stop thinking about ballet, and getting better.  Today I put on my ballet shoes and practiced a little, but the soreness kept me from doing too much.  I can only get better.

If you have any feeling that you want to get back into dance, I highly recommend that you do.  Don't wait to "get in shape" before starting.  You'll get in shape just by doing this.  What do you have to lose?  




Comments

Popular Posts