Grishko DreamPointe Review

Hi again!

I wanted to stop by and write out my first experience with the Grishko DreamPointe in class this week!  In case you missed my last post, here were my impressions out of the box:

Out of the Box Recap:  First Impressions
I ordered the same size I buy in the standard 2007 or 2007 PRO-- 7.5, XXX width, with the hardest shank available (called HF).  
  • Fit:  Just like the Grishko 2007, including heel shape, wings, vamp length
  • Box:  Hard as a rock!  I'm not positive I'll be able mold this very much during break in process.
    • Note-- I'm unsure at this time if the box is synthetic like the shank. 
  • Shank:  Seems very hard yet flexible.  When bent, the shank bounces back to it's starting point. 
    • Note-- Shank is pre-arched, but not as dramatically as the Gaynor Minden shank (I consider this a plus!)
  • Lining:  The interior sole has a nice plush, velvety feel to it.  There is also an extra, soft pad at the tip.  
    • Note-- The entire shoe doesn't have a special lining, just the interior sole and the platform/tip.  The part of the box that touches the tops of the toes, sides and heel are standard canvas.  

First Class

If this pic doesn't give you an idea of what class Tuesday was like, I don't know what will!  I purchased the model with the "HF" shank & box.  I don't normally do much to break in my shoes, I rather like the feeling of a new pair, but these are a whole different story.  It'll take some work outside of the studio to break these puppies in, it felt like the boxes were lined with steel.  Yowch.  I need to trim my nails shorter, which will help, and I've ordered two new types of toe pads to see what works the best.  None of my existing pads are thin enough for these shoes.  

  • Fit:  While the shoe is built on the 2007 last, there are some differences I can feel.  I ordered the same size I generally do in the 2007 & 2007 PRO, and if I reorder this model I'll order the size 8 instead of a 7.5.  
    • I have found the vamp feels much longer than a standard 2007.  I measured each shoe, and the DreamPointe is over 1/4 inch longer than the 2007.  I may need to adjust my pair to lower the vamp, as this may keep me from getting fully over the box long term.
This is as good as it gets for demi pointe for now.
They did soften up as class progressed, allowing a more natural demi pointe.  

  • Box:  Again, feels like they are lined with steel.  It's a very, very firm box, if you "knock" on it it sounds like wood!  LOL! 
    • Note-- I'm unsure at this time if the box is synthetic like the shank, or if you are supposed to break them in like any other paste shoe.  I'm being cautious at the moment because I don't want to ruin them.
The shoes were "cold" and weren't shaping to my arch much.
This kept me from getting fully over the box at first.  
  • Shank:  Seems very hard yet flexible.  When bent, the shank bounces back to it's starting point.  I found that when I first put them on, they held me back quite a bit and didn't conform to my arch right away, but as class progressed it heated up and molded better to my arch and actually looked quite lovely.  I was able to get fully over the box as class progressed.  


2007 VS. 2007 PRO VS. Dreampointe

2007, 2007PRO, DreamPointe
2007, 2007PRO, DreamPointe
All 3 shoes are very similar.  The shape is the same, but the DreamPointe is a little more snug, likely due to the fancy materials it's made of!  

That said, I'd recommend ordering 1/2 size up from your standard 2007 size.  


Overall Thoughts:
My instructor was very pleased with how upright these keep my foot.  As long term readers know, I have very flexible, squishy arches that just demolish shanks and look very clawed in a weak shank.  This shoe offers nice support for my particular brand of foot... 

I felt confident enough to do everything I was asked, and wasn't worried about rolling too far over my shoe, which is always a huge concern of mine, especially with single-footed work.  

I think with some much needed break in time, these will be a favorite shoe of mine.  I hope the special shank & box last longer than my previous pairs!  

I'll do a followup after I've worked in them for a few classes and let you know how things are going!  

Thanks!

RB



Comments

Popular Posts