What in the heck...

I found this pic today while I was looking through my crazy dropbox archives.  What!


This is a picture of me wearing my first pair of shoes after returning to pointe, the Grishko 2007 pro.  Look at that shank!!  This is after a year of several classes a week, and my feet had gotten much stronger, they obliterated the SS shank!  This is right before I fixed the terrible ribbons and elastic and they looked like this:



So we have about three weeks until recital.  Everything has really come together in our routines, timing has been really good since I've started recording them for everyone to watch back throughout the rest of the week.  Super helpful!  I highly recommend it if your classmates & teacher approve, a great tool for cleaning up and even understanding the bigger picture of the routine.

So in other news I've officially lost 46lbs from dance and slightly healthier eating habits.  It seems crazy to me, but I'm still trying to wear some of my old clothes and it's... pathetic.  You know how much I love collages, right?

August 2012 - February 2014
37lbs 


 1 semester, 1 dance season, 1.5 seasons, 2 seasons- 46lbs

I've also learned how to layer my clothes to hide the ugly tights lines.  Leo first, then tights, then shorts if you want.

My knee is feeling much better.  I was getting a little worried, but I have felt significantly better with the extra joint supplement and the long weekend.  It's not sore at all today after contemporary, and we roll around a lot and fall to the floor.

Things overall have just pulled together.  My turns in all classes have really improved.  I'm doing consistent doubles in lyrical and modern.  I don't have the opportunity to do them in ballet or pointe, but my singles have gotten much stronger.  Much less nonsense.  Here are a couple of cool pics of two different turns in our ballet piece with the sleeves, super fun to play around with!

Pique turns, and leg coming down from a single pirouette





Oh hey, a pencil turn in our Hunger Games routine.

















Sorry for the picture overload, I just haven't posted much lately so I figured you wouldn't mind.

Oh, and PointePerfect.com has been out of commission for about 3 weeks.  I had a catastrophic failure with my site framework and everything was deleted.  I recovered the data but decided to redo my crazy novel of a pointe fitting article to make it more interactive and easier to slog through.  It'll be back up soon for any interested parties.

That's about all I know.  I'm getting nervous for the recital!  We just have one more week of classes next week, then the week after is the pictures, and the week after that is tech rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and two days of performance.  Ahhh!  I'm so excited though.  Our skirts for pointe are... short.  That's all I'll say.

Happy Dancing!  Thanks for stopping by!

RB

Comments

  1. Can't wait to see it. Since I just started reading your blog it has been down. Drats! Hoping it can help me with my pointe shoe choice. Just two shops anywhere near me and I have big feet so...not sure how well the fitting will go. I need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon MB! Thanks for the comment, I appreciate your kind words. :) There are plenty of makers that offer shoes in large sizes.

      I'm sorry that PointePerfect is down at the moment, I had a crazy catastrophic server error and lost everything. In having to put it all back together, I made some critical changes to the layout and design that will make it easier to figure out your feet. I'm almost ready to reopen!!

      Delete
  2. I also recently found your blog and LOVE it. I too am an adult returner to ballet/dance and its nice to see I'm not alone! You and Adult Beginner are inspiring me to maybe start blogging about my own returning to dance experiences (though it would likely be boring, since I am a blogging slacker haha). You've also inspired me to start keeping track of my progress and pointe shoe-related shenanigans ;) Makes me wish I'd taken some "before" pictures or videos. Anyway, I love reading about your progress (love the arabesque animation in your About Me) and "merde" for your upcoming performance! (Or "break a leg" as they used to say when I was younger).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! It's really been so helpful documenting my shoes. In just looking at the front/back/1st position views of each shoe, I learned exactly what I need and why. I haven't posted about my shoes much lately because they are actually perfect! It's really weird, I've really become so much more comfortable in class.

      Lately I'm leaning more towards the choreography side of things rather than the pull to take constant ballet. I have so many ideas for contemporary routines!!

      Recital in 2 weeks, I can't WAIT!! Thanks for reading. -L

      Delete
  3. It's really inspiring to see your progress, esp. in the photo collages. Will try your shorts-over-tights-over-leotard technique the next time I wear regular tights -- I've found body tights really smoothen the line under a leo (sucks to have to keep washing it before the next class, though...maybe I just need to do laundry more often, haha).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts