Left splits

Tonight in class I accomplished something I've never done before, not even as a teenager.

I sat down into my left splits and went down all the way to the floor. No hands. No painful hips or quads.

My left side was always further from the ground than the right, I never managed to make it the whole way. Until tonight.

This came as a surprise to me, how easily I slid into them and to the floor. I haven't been stretching at home much lately, and tonight was the first time in a few weeks that I've attempted them.

I have been stretching my quads more in class.  Yoga taught me that it's not an issue of tight hamstrings but tight quads that were causing me issues in the splits. Working on them in class and during free stretch has really paid off!

I'm a little shocked. Going to try to replicate it again tomorrow on video.


Posted via Blogaway

Comments

  1. I just want to say that your blog has been so helpful to me! I am 27 and returning to dance in general and also starting pointe work again with no idea about the right shoe for my foot. It is great to know that there are other people like me that are getting back into ballet after being out for a long time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele! I'm sorry I didn't see your comment until now. Kudos on returning to dance, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!

      My advice to you is to take the time to really learn your foot type before you are fitted for pointe shoes. Your feet will definitely change over the first few months back as they gain strength, but understanding your feet is the first line of defense for picking the right pair of shoes. Remember, you shouldn't be in constant pain while on flat or on pointe. Discomfort yes, but stabbing/shooting/throbbing pain is not normal. Check out my articles on this site or on my other site, pointeperfect.com for detailed fitting info!

      You might want to use the Pointe Shoe Finder on pointeperfect.com after you figure out your foot type. You can take a list of shoes that might be your ideal shoe to your fitting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts