Hahaha!

I find this hilarious.

We are using chairs in our pointe number, and they are unusually small chairs.  Almost every girl in my pointe class is taller than average, and when we are on pointe we can't reach the chair when we're supposed to.  4/5 of us.  LOL!

I'm the tallest, as you can see here I'm like 3 inches away from grabbing the back of the chair.  Haha!












This number is so fun though! I think we're only halfway done. 




I have to say I love my Grishko 2007 Pro.  They are so different from my first pair of Grishko 2007, must have been a bad pair the first time around.  I wish I could combine the material of a Gaynor Minden and the shape of the 2007.  They've been so supportive in class, I can still roll through, I haven't totally trashed the demi area of the shoes yet which is a relief and my bruised toenails are going away since I've switched from the Russian Pointe Almaz.  My instructor liked the way the Almaz looked in class better than the Grishko 2007, but they never really did stretch out much and were always a smidge too narrow.

I'll need to order another pair for the recital in June, but I don't know if I should try the same Gaynor Minden size with a harder shank, or just buy another pair of Grishko 2007 Pros.  Maybe I could save up and buy both......... I am getting some funds back with my tax return, sounds like a good cause.



 Our flat ballet routine with the extra extra long sleeves is turning out to be the most difficult and exhausting routine of them all.  Tons of jumping- changements, entrechat, beats from 2nd plie, and then just to mix it up lots of sudden changes in tempo where we go from jumping to slow/controlled poses, very slow grand plies and 16 count promenades.  I was so winded in class this week after my week off, I had to stop and take a break to catch my breath a few times.  Hence the red/struggle face in some of these pics:

 It starts with a grand plie while in a deep lunge.  A really slow (like resting heartbeat tempo) 4 counts. 

Later we have this modern arabesque/8 count promenade --> attitude --> passe --> plie a la seconde --> sous sous.  It's like 26 slow counts without putting your left foot down.  I'm pretty proud of some of my held positions, much better than last year.  We had something similar last year but not as lengthy.  

A 4 count arabesque.  Unfortunately this is cut off (distracted videographer, lol) but I'm proud of my arabesque here.  A little more wing to the foot and suck in the core and it'll look stronger.  We then promenade for 8 more counts in this position.  It's hard.  Then, once we've turned a full 360 degrees, we pull up to attitude.  

Maybe not the most flattering photo in the whole world, but not too shabby.  4 counts total in attitude.  Then we rotate front while bringing the left foot into passe and hold.  Then we developpe the left leg out in second while plie on the supporting leg.  

 It totally looks like I'm about to pass out (I'm super red...) but I was really out of breath.  I'm still a little stuffed up from being sick last week and I was feeling it here.  I'm proud of my developpe, that I held at that height for 4 more counts and my supporting leg was turned out.  Yeeesh my right calf is screaming still today.  

Also, I've learned that while I've lost a lot of weight and especially a lot of fat from my arms, after a certain age (that I've already passed) your arm skin doesn't return to its young teenage glory after losing weight.  Should have seen that one coming!  Time to start lifting weights to tone up that skin.  Not sure it's even possible.  

Sorry for the picture flood.  I feel like I'm improving.  I need to work on holding in my core.  I can do it in short bursts but it's hard to maintain constantly.  My stomach muscle split while I was pregnant and with ballet, it's closed up a lot.  Still not quite there, but my stomach is flattening out which is neat.  Still have skin but can't do much about that other than surgery, so it's something to live with.  Need to start doing more cardio so I'm not so winded with all the jumping. 

Well, have a good weekend!

Comments

  1. Will you be able to record a little bit of your recital? I'm dying to see it! This is going to be my first recital as an beginning adult ballerina too. I'm so anxious about it but you've really given me hope that ballet isn't just for teens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliana! The studio pays a company to record the first performance, and we can buy a DVD copy. I did this last year and they have legal stuff you need to sign saying you won't post it on the internet. :-/

      To be honest when I got my copy of last year's recital I was disappointed, it was supposed to be "HD quality" but it was like my mom recorded it from the very back of the auditorium with her 1992 VHS recorder.... not spectacular. Most of the pics I posted of last year's recital were screenshots of that video and they are really poor quality. :( This year I'm going to try and get someone to come in and record me during our dress rehearsals with my phone, which sadly seems to take better video than the company who recorded it last year. But yes!!

      You shouldn't be anxious. It's actually so fun-- I got misty eyed at curtain last year, when every student participates in the bow and awards at the end. It's SO cool to see all of the little kids and their excitement. It's such a fun experience as an adult! We've got some 85 year old ladies that have been performing in the tap routines for 20+ years! No need to be nervous. Just have fun. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey! I've nominated you for the Liebster blog award, you can read all about it here: http://thenimblemouse.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/liebster-blog-award.html! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carys! That's so cool, thank you! I'll try to get to this this week. :)

      Delete
  3. Love seeing the rehearsal pics! Looks like they are some really fun pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grishko shoes with a gaynor Minden type of shank exist. Grishko dream pointe. http://www.dancechoice.com/card.asp?goods=985 greetz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly! Check out the DreamPointe http://www.grishko.ca/footwear/pointe-shoes/DreamPointe-g1527
    I used them for my summer intensive and they are amazing! So comfortable and my arch looks incredible! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts