Grishko 2007 Pro VS Russian Pointe Almaz

I finally sewed my Grishko 2007 PROs and wore them in class lastnight, and I wish I hadn't waited so long!  I should have sewn both the RP Almaz and the 2007 Pro at the same time and alternated them each week in class.  The shoes felt great in class, much improved from my dying RP Almaz.  The platform is getting mushy in the Almaz, my big toes dig in and I've been cautious lately with my steps because I've had a lot of big toe pain.  The platform is mushy to the point that the back edge is no longer a crisp, clean edge, so it's almost impossible to get over the box in anything other than 1st or parallel.  It's a bummer, the Almaz still offers shank support, but my bruised toenails aren't thrilled.  I'm going to try and glue the platforms and extend the life a bit.

I need to adjust the elastic on the 2007 Pro, they're currently too long and my heel was popping out of the back, especially because the demi area of the shoes are still stiff as a board.  I figured I'd put together a comparison of both pairs, it's very interesting, both shoes are very similar in attributes.

Russian Pointe Almaz

  1. Slightly Tapered Box
  2. 3 Vamp lengths to choose from-- mine is medium
  3. U or V shaped throat (V comes without drawstring, mine is U)
  4. Medium Platform
  5. High Heel
  6. Many shank choices in Soft, Medium, or Hard
  7. Low Profile
Grishko 2007 Pro
  1. Slightly Tapered Box
  2. Medium/Long Vamp (though box assembly makes vamp shorter than original 2007 inside)
  3. Medium Platform
  4. Medium Heel
  5. Super Soft, Medium, or Hard shank choices
  6. Low Profile
It's really interesting to consider the platform width on both shoes.  Both respectively are considered to have a "Medium" platform within their respective brands, and yet are about 1/2 an inch different in width!  I think I need to update my Almaz shoe into a broad platform classification on pointeperfect.com.  

This may be a little misleading, as the Almaz on the left is pretty much dead.  I also have the bad habit of pushing too far over my shoes, so the platform on the Almaz looks taller vertically than the 2007 pro, but it's not that much higher.  The Almaz is 2 1/8 inch wide, and the 2007 pro is 1 3/4 inch.


Here's a full side by side comparison between the two shoes.  On the top we have the Grishko 2007 Pro, and the bottom shows the Russian Pointe Almaz

Top Row:  Grishko 2007 Pro
Bottom Row:  Russian Pointe Almaz
There are some similarities between the shoes, and some big differences.  After seeing these pics, I like the line I get from the 2007 Pro.  My feet have high arches and are very flexible, which you probably wouldn't guess looking at my feet in the Almaz.  

Comparing the side and 1st position photos are interesting-- look how I'm fully over the box in the 2007 Pro, and the Almaz is resisting the curve of my foot.  When I point my toes in tendu in the Almaz, the shoe doesn't follow the curve of my toes, it stays straight and wants to push forward.  My toenail is aiming towards the back edge of my platform as my foot strains inside the shoe.  

The little crack in my wood floor gives a nice reference point for the 1st position picture.  I'm just barely considered over the box in the Almaz, with a much more closed position than in the Grishko 2007.  

This stuff fascinates me.  I could point out the differences for another several paragraphs, but I think the photos speak for themselves.  I have liked working in the Almaz, but I don't think I'll reorder after seeing these pics.  After 3 months of dancing in them, you'd think they'd be better molded to my foot, and I've put in the work to try and get them there.  

It's neat that this pair of 2007's fits me well, considering the disastrous fit of my first pair of 2007s!

Fun stuff!  Happy Dancing.  :) 

Comments

  1. hey ive worn both these shoes too infact only just got almaz and sapfir and i find almaz and sapfir the platforms to feel rectangular rather than round.. do you feel it too? i love the shoes but they just arent feeling as great as my grishko 2007 or grishko maya... the platforms on the grishko models feel more round and and nicer in my opinion so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne, I agree the almaz platform is much more rectangular than the 2007, which is much smaller and more round in shape. I kinda liked the almaz platform a little more though!

      I'd like to try the Maya, I haven't had the opportunity to try on that shoe in a fitting yet. Nobody seems to have any in my area.

      Delete
  2. How did they compare size wise? I am considering switching to RP, am wearing grishko 2007 (5.5 x SS) , and like the idea of the wider platform, without the box being much wider. I tried Bloch heritage, so easy to balance in but I kept sinking down into them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arianna!

      RP uses euro sizing in their shoes, so it's a little odd. In Grishko 2007 I take a 7.5 or 8 depending on the pair, 3x width.

      My Almaz were a 42, width 3, vamp 2. RP offers much more customization so be careful to read about the different shanks and vamps they offer. :)

      I plan to buy the RP Sapfir someday, its the same as the Almaz just with a pre arched shank.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. This is a really informative knowledge, Thanks for posting this informative Information. Russian Pointe Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have worn both of these pointe shoes, and I actually found they were significantly different in some ways. The Russian Pointe Almaz seems to be a way better fit for me, though I do have to work hard to get over the box. It has a lower profile than the 2007 and is a flatter box. It also has a higher heel. And the shank is way stronger in a medium in the Almaz. I tried 2007 and also Grishko Nova and with both the shanks broke very quickly for me, within 3 classes. The Nova was a tighter fit but with both Grishkos, the heel would come off in class which was extremely annoying. The only way I could keep it on was to sew an elastic loop at the heel and thread my ribbons through that, PLUS the usual elastic around the foot. I found the box on the 2007 to be larger and the vamp to be so deep it cut into my metatarsals when trying to roll up through pointe compared to the Almaz. I needed more padding with those shoes. I only need a very thin gel pad or thick sock with the Almaz as the fit is tighter. For reference, I have Egyptian toes with very wide metatarsal that tapers severely to heel of foot (fan shaped). I have a very high arch but high up on the foot with lower profile near the metatarsal of the foot. My feet are very bony with not much fat at all, so not "full". I have short/medium toes. This combo makes it hard to find the right fit. My big toe sticks out a lot compared to the rest of my toes. I have also tried Freeds, Bloch, and Capezio in various types and so far the Almaz has been the best fit of all. I am just not crazy about having to work so hard to get up on the box. I am an older ballet student (age 51). I wore pointe shoes for four years as a teen, then quit dancing from age 20 to 45, and have been back to dancing for six years. I wear pointe shoes recreationally for class or dancing on my own, so not heavily. Back in the late 80s I had Capezio Contemporas or Pavlova but hated them as I would roll way over the box and shanks were too soft. I am so amazed at the choices now! I have found my feet have flattened out over the years. I had a crazy high arch and more rounded feet when I was younger, and less bony. At any rate, I would have liked the 2007 more if the heel was higher and vamp lower. And maybe slightly lower profile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts