Props to the Figure Skaters

I don't usually go all out to watch the Olympics when they are on, but I do enjoy watching the figure skating, gymnastics, diving and equine events when I can.  I've made a point to catch the figure skating when it's on this year though.  I'm suddenly finding myself completely in awe of these people, probably because I find myself trying similar movements in class-- turns and such.  My ridiculous attempts to turn a multiple rotations compared to these skaters who don't even spot...... call the struggle bus I'm going home!  

I have so much respect for the things they do.  Can't imagine trying some of that stuff, let alone with blades on my feet.  LOL!  How can they not spot?  I mean, I know it wouldn't be physically possible to spot when they get really fast, but sometimes I get dizzy doing simple chaines across the floor on flat if my spotting gets lazy.  I can't imagine turning so fast that the wind actually blows your cheeks out like you're in a wind chamber!  


Kexin Zhang of China
From Buzzfeed  The 19 Funniest Figure Skating Faces At The Sochi Olympics
Amazing.  

Side note-- what's your favorite ballet slipper?  My old leather split soles are getting cracked and super dirty and well, smelly.  I'm considering trying a canvas shoe, which I never liked growing up.  The Bloch Pro-Elastic looks pretty nice to me.  Any insight?

Thanks! 

RB

Comments

  1. I was marvelling in their lack of spotting and dizziness the other night too! It's unreal.

    Regarding flats, I always wear canvas because my studio has marley floors that are like glue to turn on. Right now I'm wearing Repetto (no idea on the model, bought them in Paris) and I really like them. They have similar seaming to the bloch pro elastic which I really like. I don't think I'll go back to shoes without that again, it just makes the foot look so much better. That being said almost all of the students at my school have the Sansha Pro shoes and despite being kind of sack-like they look really good on all of their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon your blog today...love it so far!!

    I recently decided to take an adult's "Very Beginning" ballet class..I've tried on the Block Pro-Elastic slippers and there's a bit of extra fabric at the back of the heel so when you point your toes, it kind of..extends a bit. I'm not sure, but it looks kinda funky to me. I *love* the elastic band though versus the tie-string. Unfortunately, I have to keep looking because the soles seem to sit at weird spots on my feet...I should've preface this with a "I have weird feet" line. Well, I have weird feet. I'm between 5.5 and 6 (street size), but I also have very wide feet...and both feet are different from each other. So, yah. Regarding the Block Pro-Elastic slippers, there's *a lot* of great reviews of it on Amazon. 4.5 our of 5 stars and more than 100 reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts