Leg Press for Pointe Strength?

I follow Robbie (Mydancetv) on YouTube, and she's got a few videos in the pilates studio with her pointe shoes on doing some cross training.  Something in particular I'm interested in is using the Pilates Reformer table (which is similar to a leg press machine at the gym, just totally flat rather than at an angle) to work on building strength in the legs and feet for pointe.  Here's the video:


I've always wondered if it would be beneficial to use the leg press for pointe.  Here's a leg press machine:


My first impression is that no, this wouldn't be a good idea.  Too much weight on the machine could hurt rather than help... but thinking through it more that seems to be false.  As long as the weight on the machine is less than your body weight, it shouldn't be any harder on the body than regular pointe work in class.  

I think I'm going to try this next time I go to the gym.  I'd imagine that using say, 1/2 my body weight on the machine to practice rolling through demi to full pointe would be very helpful-- rolling through demi to full pointe is one of my weaknesses.  I can spring up like it's my job, but rolling through can be challenging at times, a fundamental part of ballet that I must improve to move forward.  

What do you think, have you ever heard of this or seen this before?  

Comments

  1. I haven't head about this before but it could be interesting. As long as you keep the weight down like you say I don't think you have anything to lose. I've taken some classes in floor barre and found it really helped my placement so this could be a similar way to experiment with strengthening without gravity playing its part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this before in my school fitness suite during lesson, and I found that it helps so much! My favourite is tilting the 'plate' down towards you, and having your toes on the edge, then pointing my feet as much as possible to lift the plate. My calves were burning but they now feel much better for it.

    http://thenimblemouse.blogspot.co.uk/
    Carys xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carys,

      Thanks for sharing your experience with this exercise! I still haven't tried it out in the gym yet, but it sounds like it could only be helpful!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts