Working with what you've got

I'd like to take a moment to discuss something that I've personally struggled with over the years:  working with what I've got.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a ballerina.  I think a lot of ladies out there can say that, but I really really wanted it.  It wasn't until my teacher told me at 13 that I was too tall that I decided it wasn't in the cards for me.  At the young age of 13, I quit that dream.

Now I'm kicking myself.  I don't think there are many companies out there that would have taken a 6'1 ballerina into their ranks, but had I continued training seriously there are avenues I could have taken to get into the dance world at some capacity as a modern dancer or soloist.

Dance has a lot of stereotypes.  Ballerinas need to be tall, thin, long necked, with small heads.  Tall but not TOO tall, like me.  As I've aged and discussed my past throughout my life, dance has come up.  I always say "I was good, but too tall to do anything seriously so I gave it up".  My whole life I've put the words "TOO TALL" in front of my name.

I've actually become "too tall" because I said it to myself over and over and over.  I am self conscious of my height, it's something I think about every day, and it has been the factor that has caused many passions to fall by the wayside.

There are people who always say "I'd KILL to be tall!" but surely nobody wants to be 6'1.  I can't wear heels, finding pants that are long enough is a nightmare, etc etc.

What I struggle with is it's just a few inches.  6'1 is pretty close to 5'11, which is a fairly normal height for dancers.  What's 2 inches?

Dance is helping me break out of the bubble I've so carefully constructed around myself in recent years.




I may be a head or two taller than everyone else dancing with me, but I really don't care anymore.  Why did I let my own insecurities get in the way of what I love?  Now I've wasted 8 years of my life because someone convinced me that my limitations were forever.

I'm going to keep dancing and keep improving.  Dance has brought out something that was buried deep within my soul for a long time.  I no longer think I'd like to dance for a living, but dance has opened up other avenues for me, like this blog and another major project I've got in the works.

It's time to work with what I've got.  I can't change my height, but I can change the way I care for my body and the way I play up my strengths.



I hope anyone reading this will consider and do the same.  Let go of the things you can't change about yourself and focus on the things you can change.  It'll all come together!

Happy Dancing,

RB

Comments

  1. I just wanted to say that I just found your blog but I love it. It's so inspirational! Keep dancing and doing what you love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts