Uneven Strength

Class this week was really tough.  I am still figuring out the best padding for my new pointe shoes, and I'm not quite there.  I tried on an old pair of thick gel pads, and while they were comfy at first, they made me lose feeling in my toes, which is obviously a bad thing.  They just mold too well with my foot I think.  They slide around strangely though, between the gel and the liner part of the pad itself.  It's hard to describe I guess. 

Anyways, so while I had no pain I had less feeling, and that was hard.  We are learning our recital piece, and there is a cool part at the beginning where the 4 of us flit around the stage like butterflies in a meadow.  I have always favored my right foot, so I do most of my single footed work on that foot.  I'm still not used to trusting a pair of shoes again. 

The problem, is that I'm weaker on my left foot, but I also favor my right, so I don't think I'm pushing that left foot hard enough.  My right leg is much more sore than my left after class. To make up for that, I've been practicing with the theraband twice as hard on my left as I do on my right.  It's something I need to consciously adjust from now on if I want to look like a normal person during my recital.  It's just 4 of us on stage, nowhere to hide! 



My flat class is also learning the recital piece, and I am in a position to do a really deep panche arabesque right in front on stage.  I'm really excited!!  For whatever reason I've been complimented in class regularly lately.  Mostly at the barre with my arabesques and bends and such.  I've been working really hard on my arabesque and it has gotten much higher and more stable.  I'm pretty excited!



Oh and I do have to say, I will never go back to normal ribbons again after using the Prima Soft Extension Ribbon.  It's essentially elastic ribbon, it's totally stretchy.  So much better for me.  Easy to tie, never saggy, just so much better.  Here is a picture of them from my old Capezio Contemporas.  They look pretty much the same, not exactly shiny though.  I love them! 



Here is a link to them on Amazon--

PRIMASOFT EXTENSION RIBBON

I just ordered two new pairs, one for my new Serenades, and one for the pair of Gaynors I'm ordering this weekend!!  Eep!

Happy Dancing!

Comments

  1. I think you sew them wrong... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blanca,

      I definitely know why you might think that, but this was a form of corrective sewing for this particular pair. The elastic was sewn very close to the throat of the shoe to help hold my foot in securely. The shank is very very supple in the Capezio Contempora, with a lot of extra fabric in the wings. Had I moved elastic back, the shoe wouldn't have been usable at all for my needs.

      There isn't really a *right* way to sew your shoes, it can be done in many different ways to correct an imperfect fit or to help correct physical limitations.

      Thanks!

      Lindsay

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts