Why you should take ballet as an adult.

Hi all, I posted this as a reply to an article about beginning ballet, and I liked it so here we go!  This is why you should take ballet as an adult. 

I just have to say to all of you ladies (and gents) out there that are thinking about re-starting ballet, JUST DO IT. And don’t just go in and barely try because you feel foolish and then quit because you aren’t improving. You go in there with tights and a leotard and leggings or shorts or whatever makes you comfortable. I recommend a leotard for everyone, regardless of your size. You’ll be bending and twisting and spinning in class, and trust me, you want to worry about your tendu, not your midsection.

You have to just do it. Don’t wait to get in shape before you take class, you’ll get in shape while taking class. You’ll leave covered in sweat and barely able to walk for a few days, but you will feel amazing.
I am a re-starter. I’m 26 and I’ve had one child. I didn’t have one of those movie star pregnancies where you shrink back down to your normal size and have a perfect body again. My midsection is ruined. I was horrified to step back into a leotard after an 8 year hiatus, but I did it. I’m even en pointe now!

You’ll be shocked how much your body remembers. The terms will be fuzzy, but you’ll remember how your body SHOULD be moving. Don’t get discouraged when you can’t pull a perfect triple or even a single piroutte with ease right away. Your body remembers what your old physique needed to complete a pirouette, and your center of balance is different now.

I’ve improved dramatically. I was super embarassed at first.  Hell, I embarrass myself all the time in class, I have some fears to get over with pointe.  I just can't muster up the courage to do a pirouette away from the barre.  But the beauty of ballet class, is that in most studios I’ve danced in it isn’t a competition. In the adult classes, everyone is there to improve themselves. When you are at the barre, you need to throw your entire being into the moves, pushing and reaching just a bit further from all appendages. You can learn from not only the people that are better than you, but also the people getting corrections as well.

Dive in. I’ve gone down 2 pant sizes and lost about 20 lbs so far just from ballet, not really changing my eating habits at all. You’ll chug water, which is a plus. :)

I dance because I have an extremely stressful job. I’m the youngest in my company, but I’m a manager and have a ton of crazy responsibility. I get super stressed out and ballet is literally my release. I had a messed up day on Wednesday, but I went to flat and pointe for 3 hours, and when I left I felt amazing. I didn’t think about work once for a whole three hours. Sometimes you need a break. Just do it!


That's my feet.  I've seen a similar picture floating around the internet, and I really liked the feel of it.  It's interesting to see how my feet look when bare compared to how they are squished in the shoe.  I think I need to try another brand.  I don't like where my weight is centered, I look like I"m winging my ankles while standing. I've thought about it for a few weeks, and I think I'm going to order some Gaynor Mindens. 

Anyways, I'm back to updating more often.  I've got photos of my recital costumes.  And oh yeah, I joined the lyrical class this semester and I'm performing with them.  Three numbers!! 

I hope you are all happily dancing, or just about to start!

Comments

  1. Hi :) I've just read several posts from your blog and found myself smiling with your testimonials :) I am 35 years old. Practiced ballet for 10 years, untill I was 17, and then stopped. Been away for 18 years, and re-started in an adult class a few months ago. I totally relate to your hapyness feeling of beeing back. Unfortunatelly I only have 1 class per week, but I always look forward to that day. It sets me free in so many levels! Anyway... Happy dancing!! :) (Between, I am writting from Portugal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, very sorry for the late reply but thanks so much for reading! Im glad you are enjoying being back at it as well!

    Happy dancing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts