100 Lessons In Classical Ballet: the Eight Year Program

Hi all! 

I've recently been contemplating the fact that my recital is in about 4 months.  I'm behind some of my pointe class in a few areas, strong in others, but I really just want to look my best on stage, so I'd like to add more exercise to my weekly regimen.

My current schedule is like this most weeks:

Monday:  Lyrical
Tuesday:  Off
Wednesday:  Technique & Pointe
Thursday:  Off
Friday:  Off
Saturday:  Approx 1 hr at home practice and stretching
Sunday:  Off

I randomly work with the theraband on my feet while I'm watching TV on my off days, but not consistently.  The only way I've consistently stuck to a weight loss plan is through ballet.  I have been losing weight without actively dieting because I LOVE ballet.  It's challenging, it's a release, it's not only a physical workout but it also acts as a creative outlet and mental workout.

PS-- A couple of weeks ago I realized I was wearing pants 2 sizes smaller than I normally wear.  By mistake!  They fit!  I'm hourglass shaped and I've been gaining muscle all over, and also losing fat steadily all over. 

Anyways, to lose weight faster but also progress faster and catch up to my classmates, I decided I'm going to practice on all of my off days.  I end up getting bored practicing at home when I have to make up combinations, so I thought I'd scour the internet for a ballet exercise guide.  I think I've pretty much found the ballet bible.  It's called:

100 Lessons in Classical Ballet: The Eight-Year Program of Leningrad's Vaganova Choreographic School


It's a class by class combination recommendation for 8 years of  Vaganova training, and I'm STOKED to have found it.  I bought the kindle version, it has the pictures. 

I'm going to start at lesson 1 and do the equivalent of 1 day of training on every off day that I'm not in class at the studio.  I'm also going to record the lessons and post them in case anyone wants to try as well. 

I highly recommend this book, it's pretty awesome! 

Happy Dancing! 




Comments

Popular Posts