A few more classes and a new pair of shoes

Hey!  Sorry I haven't checked in for awhile, things have been pretty crazy at work.  I've still been taking regular pointe and technique classes since I posted last.  I've had what, 4 more pointe classes since my first class, and after struggling with the Grishko 2007s I decided to get a new pair.  I was completely unable to roll up onto pointe, and even my teacher thought it was strange with my foot strength.  The shoes just didn't fit quite right.

After having so many struggles I started to research different kinds of pointe shoes, WHY I was having so many issues.  I learned a lot about how pointe shoes should fit, and the different types of feet.  I researched different brands, and I decided I really wanted to get fitted for a pair of Gaynor Minden pointe shoes.  So, I went on a quest to find them. 

Much to my dismay, I learned that there were literally no retailers that sell Gaynor Mindens even in Milwaukee!  I had to go to Madision to see the nearest dealer.  So, I drove all the way to Madison to get a pair of pointe shoes after calling to confirm they had my size and someone able to fit me.  So I make the 1.5 hour drive and learned that they didn't have my size, and nobody was there to fit me.  Great.  I drove home and called another place near Chicago.  They had my size and several fitters on site, so I set an appointment and drove down.  Long day! 

I visited this amazing shop and was on site for about 2 hours.  The shop is perfect-- their employees are wonderful and highly knowledgeable.  I showed the fitter my old shoes and she was a little disgusted that I was ever fit in them to begin with.  She said they were completely wrong for my feet.  I explained that I was most interested in Gaynor Mindens, but that I just wanted the best shoe for my foot. 

I tried on every brand they had, and they had a huge array.  Freeds, Grishkos, Capezios, Gamba, Bloch, Russian Pointe, Prima Soft, Sansha, and even my Gaynor Mindens.  Unfortunately, the Gaynor Mindens I tried on weren't quite right.  I was knucking badly, I'd need a wider box and a higher vamp, and they just didn't have one on site.  So I tried on all of those others in several models.  There was one pair that really seemed to be just right.  The Capezio Aria is the shoe I ended up with. 


It's amazing to wear a shoe where the shank actually bends with my arch.  The shank is just obviously better than the Grishko 2007--- it's one full piece of smooth leather on the sole, instead of a segmented one.  The shoe just looks 1,000 times better on my foot than the Grishko.  The shank doesn't twist, it seems wide enough for my foot, and the wings really allow me to roll through demi-pointe much better.  The platform is way wider and easier to balance on. 

The only thing I'm worried about, is that there is more pressure on my big toe than with my other shoes.  But, I bought them and my teacher loves how they look. 


Here I am after class was over one day.  I bribed my teacher into taking my picture.  These are the Arias.  I'm still trying to find the perfect padding.  I've bought several different kinds and I'm working on getting it right.  I've tried spacers, thick gel pads, ouch pouches, lambs wool, etc.  My only problem with these shoes is that they put much more pressure on my big toe.  I think I can pad them to stop that though.  I'm about to order the Gaynor Minden totally toes fitting kit, I've heard great things about the box liners and relieving toe pressure.  

Happy dancing! 





Comments

Popular Posts